Written By Regina Brett, 90 years of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio
“To celebrate growing older, I wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most-requested column I’ve ever written.”
1.Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good. (Very true. I love my life.)
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. (Not working. I still hate some people and that won’t change!)
4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch. (Strongly believe in this one.)
5. Pay off your credit every month. (I am so bad at this one.)
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. (Erm, can’t bullshit you guys on this one, but I am trying harder. Have you noticed an improvement?!)
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone. (Can’t do this. )
8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first pay cheque. (Have not saved a rupee. It’s entirely the OA’s job.)
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile. (Don’t I know that?)
11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present. (I have taken years and this blog has helped me.)
12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it. (Sigh. So true.)
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you no one else.
20. When it to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion, today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow. (I try this all the time – and fail!)
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, will this matter?’ ( I do this all the time and I realise the little things do and the big things don’t! How strange.)
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business. (Very true. People can kiss my hairy err… toe.)
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time. (You think so?)
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles. (I do, I do, I do, I do, I do, I do.)
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
35. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing beats the alternative — dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back. (I’m not even throwing my problems. Having seen what others deal with, I think I got the ones I am most suited to handle.)
41. Envy is waste of time. You already have all you need. (This one is the best. I don’t want anything anyone else has. Except maybe one more baby?!)
42. The best is yet to come (Of this I am so sure – and this considering how much I love the present.)
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up. (I find this very hard to do.)
44. Yield. (HOW?!)
45. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.