Edited to add: A forgotten draft dug out because I am too lazy to post today.
It’s always good to see an adult man cuddling a stuffed purple elephant with a fluffly tail, otherwise known as a Heffalump, as he sleeps. [See the Bean’s pink arm on one side and the elephant on the other side of the OA’s face.]
Although how he and Lumpy caught their forty winks is anybody’s guess. Specially after I saw the monsters jumping on his prone form. What? Sez who I should be rescuing him instead of clicking pictures?
- I’ve learnt that I cannot sleep alone. Even in my sleep I scoot backwards, looking for the comforting warmth of a big, muscular chest. I don’t know how the owner of that chest feels though because it is usually followed by a disgruntled snort as my hair goes up unsuspecting nostrils.
- Somedays however, the owner of those body parts is travelling and I have an equally pleasant option. Smaller, softer, more cuddly bodies that gravitate towards me in this case. They lie on either side of me, two small pairs of hands draped over me, pulling me in opposite directions, vying for my attention and finally falling asleep. My favourite position? Curling up like a ball and pulling them against my stomach, pretending just for a little while more that they’re back inside there, full of hope – not outside, creating havoc!
- A hot water bottle placed inside your bed every winter night warms the feet as well as the heart and teaches little bratlets an important lesson in conserving electricity.
- It’s always comforting to peep into the nursery at night and see your 4 year old pat his coughing 2.5 year old sister back to sleep. Always.
- It’s also very amusing to watch a fat 5 year old head rest itself on a skinny 3.5 year old chest and watch TV on a particularly grey and cold rainy day. (Please note, the Bean has a cushion under her knees just like she’s seen me do – and the Brat’s fave excuse when he is not willing to walk is – My knees are paining. Yes, my bum knees are rather inspirational.)